Friday, July 09, 2010



Phyl,

I just took this picture twenty minutes ago in my yard. Notice the hawk in the center. This bird has been living in my front yard (and the neighbor's) for at least two weeks. It is either a domesticated bird which has escaped or else has a nest here. How would you handle this photo? How would I paint it?

I think it is a gorgeous silhouette. Cindy thinks that it would be a good backdrop for an inspirational quote splashed across the bottom.

I'm really trying to understand this. Please realize that I don't have time to do a lot of research or studying, nor do I have the money for classes. I have to learn this on my own. Anything you can help me with would be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. If you look really closely, you can see the corner of the mobile home directly beneath the hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I look at this, the more I see. Depending on your angle of sight, you can see not only the corner of the trailer, but also the rake fascias and the siding as well. How much detail, if any, would you paint into this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK--trying this again.

    No details. But I would not make the shadows solid either. Definitely not solid black--it looks dead. I would mix a lively, deep purple using ultramarine or pthalo blue, alizran crimson, and a bit of yellow--any yellow that you have. Don't mix it completely--let characteristics of the original colors show in places. Those streaks and variations will suggest detail in the viewers imagination.

    First, I would use a bit of the above mix in a puddle of white to paint the upper sky and blend it into the yellow of the lower sky. If you want to, you could do the sky first and let it dry for a couple of days. You would just have to note which colors you used and then use the same ones but without the white for the shadow areas. By using only 3 colors + white, you will have color unity and can produce a full value (light vs. dark) range.

    This is a classic composition--I forget the technical term right now--note how the tree frames the center of interest. Just keep your most intense yellow within that circle and you should do well.

    I'm happy to give you advise if you want it. It'll give me a chance to practice my teaching skills.

    ReplyDelete