Sunday, August 09, 2009

I've been doing something out of the ordinary for the last two weeks...working.

Actually, that's not quite accurate because I'm always working when I'm on the clock, but I've been framing a house addition for one of our jobs. Since the company has cut back, it's become part of my work. It's been tough--temperatures in the 90's, high humidity, sweatin' like a pig from 8:00 on, dog-tired at the end of the day, barely able to drop my tools and drive home. I must be getting used to it, though, because Thursday and Friday weren't too bad. We've got it almost done. One more day should just about wrap it up.

Couple problems to overcome:

1. Dimensions of the concrete slab were wrong and the slab was poured out of square, which meant I had to cut it back. Half a day.

2. Plan design was wrong. Supposed to be 7" difference between height of existing beam and new beam, but actually was 12", which meant that the trusses, girder trusses, and bearing wall were all wrong. I had to lower the girder trusses and bearing wall by 5", which lowered the ceilings, which lowered the trapezoidal transom window heights, which had been ordered and now won't fit, which means that we had to re-order. Not to mention that this was the most complicated truss design I've ever worked with. Took me twice as long as I expected, but I've got it on the run.

I've got nothing to complain about though, because I was there with the architect looking at the elevations and had full knowledge of the plans before we started. Should have caught it, but...

Oh, well, it's turning out quite nicely and I don't expect to have any more trouble with it. I sure will be glad when it cools down, though. Don't want to go through another summer here.

2 comments:

  1. Don't tell anyone that I said this, but architects and engineers make lots of mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why?? Will it come back to you?

    ReplyDelete