Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Robinson Project--a Snapshot


This is a picture of the project I designed after about one day of framing. The rear wall will be 22'2" long and the projection wall will be 20'3" long finished size. Beneath the windows will be a brick knee wall which will closely match the existing. Beneath the window to the right of the door will be an HVAC system. The rafter you see is a 2 x 12 x 24' long. We need ten of these and they cost about $37/each. Imagine the size of the tree these had to be cut from.

Since this picture was taken, we have built most of the roof structure. I didn't have my camera with me yesterday, though, and was not able to get a picture. I'll keep you up to date.

I thought I had the design pretty well done, but when we started construction I noticed numerous things which were either wrong or could have been done differently and/or better. Nothing serious or that can't be easily fixed. The overall design has been quite accurate, however, and I am pleased with the way the project is turning out.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, it is amazing how clear the digital camera snaphots are. When I enlarge the picture, it seems as clear as if I were standing next to you as you took the picture. Cool, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. It looks nice and always nice to learn something new and a challenge, eh? I'm impressed that you have green grass and looks like some kind of hosta plants by the door...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We take pictures before, during, and after. These are saved on the server so that we can pull them up at any time. We also burn an entire year onto a CD and make three or four copies for storage. If there is a question concerning the job, quite often we can answer it just by looking at the pictures on file.

    Digital cameras are great. Unlike women, the initial expense is the killer. The upkeep is not much more than changing batteries when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, we must have been commenting at the same time. When I first signed on, there was only the comment from Bob, but when I posted mine, you had gotten in ahead of me.

    I've mowed my grass a few times already, but since we haven't had much rain and it's been cool, the yard work has mostly been raking up leaf and limb debris.

    I don't know what the plants are, but I'll find out and let you know.

    ReplyDelete