Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Off to a Good Start!

The proof is in the pudding. Or at least that's what I've heard.

We have begun building the room addition that I designed. The footer has been dug and the rebars set. Tomorrow the termites will receive their required treatment and the whole process will be inspected by "The City", either for approval or denial. Then it's time to pour concrete after which I'll be there cutting and nailing. Unless, of course, I use screws. Or someone else cuts. Maybe someone else will nail as well. Probably will be at least two, maybe three others there cutting and nailing.

I went to the job site this morning to verify some measurements and check my drawings so that we could order the windows. Lo and behold, the dimension from the new concrete elevation to the existing soffit was only off what I had anticipated by one-half inch. And while I was there, I double-checked to make sure that my designed roof would actually fit the existing skylights. It would have been bad, very bad if we had to change the roof pitch because I had made a mistake. I sweated off about ten pounds getting back to the office so that I could check it on my computer. Not to worry, though, everything is fine.

I'm learning a lot, especially about Florida Building Codes (extensive, exhaustive?) and the whole procedure of getting a project from start to finish through City Hall. It's a heck of a lot easier in Potter County. But then, hey, who's complaining? At least, I've got a job and it keeps getting better and better. Now, if that would translate into a bonus or a raise...

Ah, well, everything comes to those who wait. Or at least that's what I've heard.

I'm going to enjoy building this project. When it's finished, I'll post some pictures.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. This is near the middle of April in Florida. Tonight the temperature is going down to the mid-30's. Great, huh? I love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment