Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Good Weather for Ducks

We don't have to worry about wildfires anymore for a while.

It started raining here the other day and gradually built up into a real storm which, according to the local weather prophet, is going to be with us for at least two more days. It hasn't been non-stop, but we have gotten a lot of rain over the last 36 hours and tomorrow looks like more of the same. I'm not complaining, though, because we needed it and the temperature has been about twenty degrees below normal for this time of year. In fact, today it didn't get out of the 60's. Nice!! Way to go, Weather Maker!!

This is a massive storm and had everyone concerned about the possibility of it developing into a hurricane. It looks now as though that isn't going to happen, which is also good. That's one thing we don't need.

I don't mind rainstorms, as long as they come and go. I don't like gray, gloomy skies which hang over me and don't leave for days or weeks on end. I can remember winters in PA when (it seemed to me) that the sky would turn gray and stay that way for a month without the sun showing.

Ah, well. This too shall pass. And then it'll be too hot, too dry, too much grass to mow too many times, etc., etc., etc. Ad infinitum or at least until someone gets tired of listening and tells me to shut up. At which point, I'll change the subject and start talking about my lumbago.

3 comments:

  1. You can send us some rain dry here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of ducks------in front of the building where our SouthernCare office is, there are two retention ponds for runoff. Ducks, geese, red-winged blackbirds, goldfinches, etc. really like it there. This morning I saw baby ducks out swimming with their mama. Really cute to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have retention ponds everywhere here--big ones, little ones. Every development (it seems) has at least one and a lot of these have fountains in them. Pretty. We also have baby ducks and geese. Near my office is a family of geese with about 7 or 8 half-grown. I saw them crossing a major road the other day. They're smart enough to wait for traffic which, for the most part, seems to be smart enough to avoid them. I don't think I've ever seen one hit.

    ReplyDelete