Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wishing for the Weekend, Last Weekend.

Went to Little Talbot Island State Park last Friday afternoon and settled down for a nice, relaxing weekend. Unfortunately, it had to end, so Sunday afternoon I came home. (Cindy left Sunday morning. Said it was getting too hot.)

It was great! No kids, no dog, no work (except what I had to do around the camp, which doesn't really count), no TV (unless you count the neighbors who hauled their set and satellite in), no phone, etc. Actually, my cell did ring twice, but it was a friend of mine (and his woman) who spent part of the day with us on Saturday. He was looking for directions.

My manager at work loaned me his kayak, so Sunday morning I popped it in the river as the tide was coming in and went upstream about three or four miles. Got to a point where it was difficult to tell the main channel from the side streams, so I spent about an hour just sitting in the marsh, then rowed back to the camp. The fly in the ointment was the traffic going by on A1A, a major road. Noisy and non-stop. Couldn't get far enough away to lose it.

Weather was warm and dry. Mosquitos not too bad. Coons on the prowl as soon as it got dark. Comfortable air mattress, hot showers, vodka screwdrivers, and good company. All in all, I'd say it was worth it. In fact, I think I'll reserve Ol' #39 for a long weekend in late October and maybe do a stint in November as well.

P.S. I did a pencil sketch of my tent Sunday while I was waiting until I had to start packing. Don't have a scanner on my computer, don't know how to operate Cindy's. I'll try to get her to work it in for you to see.

7 comments:

  1. COOL!! Sounds wonderful....Am thinking of taking the camper out next weekend..Have to do it soon before we have to deal with Brad's work schedule and all..It's good to get away even if for a little while. Glad you had a good time and could relax some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of phillips and flatheads but not vodkas! teehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually they work quite well. After you've had a few, it doesn't matter what the screw head looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you going to share LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course not!! There aren't any left! What do you think I am anyway? But, I'll consider restocking if you let me know you're going to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could bring it to thr reunion. Then we all could get goofy together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always understood that the host provided the refreshments. Has this changed?

    ReplyDelete