Saturday, June 06, 2009

Ahhhhh!

Today is the first day of the rest of my...VACATION!! It's been a while.

I've got my work caught up to the point where someone else can work on it while I'm gone. We don't have any other projects starting until after I get back. I have 93 hours of vacation time built up and I'm taking it. Pennsylvania, here I come!

It's been a struggle getting here. About a month ago, an e-mail was sent to everyone at the office that we were moving and would need to vacate by Monday, June 15, which really meant Friday, June 12. Then I never heard another word about it--no orders, no activity, no plans. Nothing. This is typical. Every six months we do the Home Show and usually it's a "rush to complete at the last minute" type, although the last few have been far simpler and easier to set up. In fact, I didn't have to do anything at the spring show, which was nice. Somebody's learning...but I digress.

At any rate, I made plans to fly into Philly on June 9th and purchased plane tickets. I also sent an e-mail to my super and the CEO, advising them of my plans. This happened on a Friday. On Monday when I checked in, Rex (CEO) had sent me a reply stating that we were considering a move and were my plans set in stone. I went to him and quite bluntly asked whether we were moving or not. After some hedging, he said "Yes" and sent the prospective landlord an e-mail advising him that we were taking the space. He also requested that I cancel my flight and change my plans until we were moved, which I did that night. Luckily, I was able to get a full refund because I was within a 24 hour window.

The next morning, I learned that the current landlord had approached him after I did and "begged" him to stay, dropping the rent rate to a point where it would be foolish to go anywhere else. So...guess what happened. You guessed! We're not moving. I don't have to tell you that I was upset, but I kept it under control and simply ordered new tickets, at a cost of $54.00 more.

The upshot is that I am still going to be in Philly on June 09 and will not be leaving until June 18. The difference is that I informed my supervisor that I didn't care what happens, I am not changing my plans this time.

What a cluster! I can't complain, though, because I knew that the move was being considered and I completely forgot about it when I bought the plane tickets. Besides, I'm just happy to have the time and I don't care what it costs.

I am planning to totally forget about work and enjoy myself for the next two weeks. Clear my head, see people I have missed, breathe in fresh mountain air, and relax.

I should have done this a long time ago!!


4 comments:

  1. Hope to see you when you are out are home is open if you need a place to stay Love ya Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you wrote everything in the first person singular, I assume Cindy is not coming along with you???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assume nothing. It'll keep you out of a lot of trouble. However, yes, you are correct. No, Cindy is not coming with me. Don't read anything into that, simply take the facts as they are. I will be there by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome to stay here if you want or need...not offended either way..so do whatever your heart desires...

    ReplyDelete