Friday, March 06, 2009

"Here's to ya, Egor!"

I was sitting at home relaxing tonight, watching one of my favorite shows, "How It's Made", on the telly when my cell phone rang. At 7:30 pm, either my boss doesn't realize how late it is or it's one of the family. This time it was Phil Mitchell, my twin cousin. We were both born the same day and seem to draw closer with each passing year. Last fall we went deep sea fishing to celebrate our 50th birthday, but...that's another story.

Phil had some sad news. Eric Hotchkiss, "Egor", died this afternoon from a massive heart attack. He was 50, about a month and a half older than Phil and I. That's hitting pretty close to home.

Eric was the son of Lloyd and Sandra Hotchkiss. Sandra was Phil's older sister, one of Uncle Henry's daughters. He had had health problems for a long time, was overweight, and carried an oxygen tank with him wherever he went. It didn't seem to slow him down much, though, and I never saw him when he didn't have a happy face on.

I don't know any details about "doings", but I'll be making a trip to Gainesville in the very near future. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see him one more time. I did see him (and many others) at our last get-together about a month ago. The older I get, the more I realize that we should always take the opportunity to see or talk to each other whenever we can. It may be the last chance we have. I'm grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that. I really didn't know him but, if you would, please pass along my condolences to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to make a correction. Originally I had spelled his name, "Igor", but found out that it is actually "Egor."

    ReplyDelete