Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I've BEEN in over my head for a LONG time

First off, I want to say that I haven't been offended by anything anyone has said in either the blogs or the comments. I know you all are just being you--and sometimes our humor has a sarcastic nature. Not a problem, to me anyway.

My biggest problem has been lack of time to blog. Like Phyl, I seem to have way more things than I have time to do. I know....I know....I need to make better choices, but...
Anyway, the two biggest things I have to report at the moment are Ed was hospitalized last Thursday (his birthday) because his heart was in Atril Fib again and he was having chest pains and shortness of breath. He's stabilized and back home, but his heart is still out. They cannot put it back in with the paddles because his blood was too thick, which significantly increases chance of stroke. They tried to adjust his medication to get it to go back in that way, but his blood pressure dropped and they had to return his meds to normal. So....now it's just a waiting game....wait for his blood to be thin enough for a long enough period so they can shock him or wait for his body to decide to go back in by itself. He's feeling pretty decent now, though.

Second issue is me....I had his birthday dinner on Saturday night (since he was in hospital on Thursday and Friday nights). I had made lasagne on Wednesday and refrigerated it. Had the rest of the fixings ready too. Plan was for him to put lasagne in oven at 4:00 and I would be in good shape by 6:00. Since that didn't happen, I changed it to Saturday night. We ate at 6:00, had a great time, but when I got ready to go to bed at 9:00, I told him that I still felt "stuffed" and "bloated"--like I'd really overeaten, but I hadn't. I probably had a little more than necessary, but not a lot... Anyway, couldn't get comfortable, didn't sleep good, and by time I woke up Sunday morning, I felt awful. Stuffed my feelings and took Ed and Morgan and Makayla to church, but came home from church and went to bed. Was miserable all day Sunday and got up to go to work on Monday not feeling much better. Called doctor, but they didn't have any available appointments, but told receptionist what my problem was, and what I thought I had. Then I left work and came home. Doctor called about an hour later (bless her!) and asked me what was going on. I told her I thought I had diverticulitis again. She said that I shouldn't have....surgery a couple summers ago should have taken care of that. And my colonoscopy last fall didn't show anything. I said, "I know....but that's what it feels like." She made room in her schedule for me and I went in for a "look-see". She's pretty sure I have diverticulitis. Of course, they could do a CAT scan and know for sure, but that means drink that awful stuff and then waste the entire afternoon in the hospital. I said, "I'll take my chances, since I think that's what it is and so do you." So, she gave me a script and told me to go on liquid diet and I'm better. Guess the biggest thing is now, I MUST change my diet or the chances of losing the rest of my colon are pretty significant. I had been doing better--eating healthier, drinking water, etc, but guess it wasn't enough. I have an appointment for Thursday to talk about what I need to do, but my thought is I'll probably have to give up white flour, white sugar, all processed foods, eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits, drink lots of water, etc, etc, etc. Tom, Tara, anybody--any great ideas, I'd love to hear them. Not really liking the idea of giving up white bread, pasta, and desserts.

13 comments:

  1. What am I missing? I'm pretty sure that you don't mean that they took his heart out and sent him home and can't put it back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you guys are not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His heart is out of rhythm.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. I get it.

    Re: white flour, etc. --add whole grains gradually until you get used to the taste. If you can find Roman Meal bread, it has a nice flavor. I used to get it but the store that I usually go to doesn't carry it any more. So I have been getting some of the seven or ten grain breads which taste better than most of the whole wheat breads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Generally speaking, the average American doesn't get enough fiber (what they used to call roughage) in their diet. Fiber acts as a broom or scraper in the bowel, cleaning out all the stuff that tends to compact and settle in. Lack of fiber may be a significant cause of constipation, colon cancer, perhaps diverticulitis, among other things.

    I try to eat at least one bowlful of shredded wheat every day. We eat multi-grain breads and don't eat white bread at all unless its home-made or we're at another house. (Remember how Dad used to call it "fog".) Apples are good. Leafy green vegetables. Etc, etc.

    I know, I know. Sounds like your mother telling you to clean your plate or else there's no dessert, doesn't it.

    A good way to test your system is to eat whole corn with your evening meal. Since corn doesn't readily digest, it should show up in the stool within 24 hours or, preferably, the next morning. Lots of fiber will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'm sure you could have certain desserts. Pies or cakes with fruit or nuts in them are somewhat healthy even though they are loaded with sugar and carbs. And rice pudding with raisins is a more healthy choice, as is yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roge, What did you mean about " a good way to test your system"? So if the corn comes out in 24 hours do that mean--your working good or not??

    Do you all have problems with diverticulitis too? Phyl and Roge? I've had about 3 bouts with it but none for about a yr now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay now....I'm the one with the problem...and maybe this is why I am commenting instead of blogging--hahaha--don't think so ...seems more like a "round to it" problem than this::::

    I can't seem to signon to make a new blog?? Where is that?

    Wanted to tell you all that Brad had knee surgery today...His right knee cap didn't stay in a straight line as it is supposed to..caused him a lot of pain..So the tighten the one ligament on the one side and lengthen the other so now its lined up right.He was in quite a bit of pain at first but seems to be dealing with it good now..Gets around by himself pretty good..Wants to get around and do stuff for himself--which is good...He won't be down long....tell me how to blog...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question #1: As far as I know, I haven't had any problem with diverticulitis.

    Question #2: The food you eat should not stay in your bowel for more than 24-48 hours. If it does, you have a problem. The corn will tell you how long it takes to work through.

    Question #3: You must have signed in to post these comments or they wouldn't register. At the top of the blog (next to the sign in box) is a box marked "New Post". If you click on that, you will be able to write your own posts. You can also edit them at any time. If you click on "Edit Posts", it will bring the complete list of posts, including those that someone else wrote. The good thing is that only you can edit yours, no one else can touch them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Roge. Still must be doing something wrong because I can sign in up there but then it doesn't say New Post..It did before when I blogged the first time but now doesn't. It only says imarugg.....dashboard...signout in the upper right hand corner...help!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I checked and you are still listed as an author so you should be able to add a new post. Are you clicking on "sign in"? Or hitting "create blog" by accident?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Or........if you sign in, you can click on "dashboard" and I think there is a "new post" button to the right of your picture (except it's not you 'cause you didn't upload one to your profile--neither did I).

    ReplyDelete