Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pride Goes before a Fall

D ang it all, anyway. I thought I had it nailed. The Robinson project, that is.

Since the economy took a downturn, the company has been in a sort of state of confusion, what with layoffs and economic turmoil. This has resulted in a lot of work being thrown to me. I don't just manage anymore, quite often I'm out on the job pounding nails and making sure that everyone else there is pounding nails as well. The paperwork on my desk has been piling up as a result and desperately needed some straightening out. It was so bad the office has been making jokes about it. Since I'm not the neatest person in the world anyway, this just compounded the problem.

Today I went in with the intention of honing my skills on Auto Sketch, but it turned out that I spent the first three hours cleaning. Ruthlessly cleaning. If I didn't need it, trash. If I didn't think I would ever need it, trash. If it needed to be filed, I filed it. Etc., etc., etc. I can actually see my desktop now. I still have to take care of my inbox, where I shoved all the papers that need action, but that'll wait. Don't you just love it?

However, in the exercise of organization I found a paper which stated that Mrs. Robinson had requested 10" transoms and I had designed 6". Ooh, big mistake!! Now I've got to go back and raise the roof before someone else does. Ha, ha. Get it?? Raise the roof, since that's what it will take to put in taller transoms.

However, it shouldn't be too bad. I looked over the drawings and figured out what I have to do. Monday morning I'll work on it. Since I have a kitchen installation scheduled, I'll probably have to work on it Monday afternoon as well. Probably won't get a permit until Tuesday, which will upset Ian, the Production Manager, but he's a good sort. He'll let it ride.

Dang it all, anyway. Thought I had it nailed. It's no wonder architects get so much money. There's a lot of detail work involved in this business and I'm the sort of person who won't let it go unless it's right. Although, I do know that there comes a time when you have to say, "Good enough, let it go."

One more shot. Then it's off to Permitting at City Hall.

They won't know the difference anyway!

1 comment:

  1. At least you're being challenged! I thought I would really miss doing design work but so far I don't. Of course, I'm helping my friend with remodeling a house, getting ready to help another couple with remodeling their bathroom, and planning our own new house. Why did I think I needed a job? Oh yeah, it was the money and benefits.

    ReplyDelete